Tuesday 2 April 2013

B is for....

1) B is for belief. This always comes up when I tell people about my book. "But what if I don't believe in reincarnation (or guardian angels) ?" they ask. The answer is - it doesn't matter a jot. The book is fiction, and can be read as a story, just like any other work of fiction. No one who read Animal Farm felt they had to believe pigs could talk, nor do Terry Pratchett's readers believe there is an actual disc shaped world out there !  Do I 'believe' in past lives myself? I'm not sure that belief is the right word, but for the moment I think the idea of reincarnation explains a great deal of the bad stuff about our world, as well as some of the good things. We'll all find out eventually anyway, so what anyone believes about it is a very temporary situation...
2) B is also for Brownies. I was made join the Brownies when I was about 7, and hated it. Particularly my 'enrolment' which was spectacularly badly handled, and terrified me half to death, because I didn't know what was happening. About 14 years ago, I went to Drama summer school, and did a story-telling course with the wonderful Sue Colgrave as teacher. I told the story of my Brownies experience, which went down really well, and afterwards a classmate came up to me and asked "how long have you been a writer?". That gave me the courage to start.
3)Belladonna - a great remedy for infections with a very high temperature. Specific for scarlet fever.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! All very fascinating! I love all the various B subjects you brought up. I am proud to say I am a writer too, but I feel as if I am more of a storyteller. It was quite an experience creating my beading book, Links, as I wanted to tell why I had made the pieces, more that HOW! haha! You are a fascinating person! best wishes, jean yates #196 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why you made the pieces - now that is interesting. I'll put your book on my 'wish list' !

      Delete
  2. Madeline
    Thanks for stopping at my blog. You said you were visiting blogs different from yours. Yes, perhaps but we share something else other than writing. I've studied natural health all my life and I've never been to an allopathic doctor. I use herbs and homeopathic medicine. It's interesting to meet you.

    Manzanita
    Wanna buy a duck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the joy of stopping by - never know what interesting people you'll meet. Not sure if I can find a commonly used remedy for every letter, it will be interesting to see!

      Delete
  3. How odd that people ask you about believing in reincarnation. I mean, they might as well say: "But... no one can walk into an alternate universe!!!" every time I mention that I write portal fantasies.

    My Writing Blog
    My Life Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder is it because it just Might be possible, and that's scary?

      Delete
  4. I use belladonna homeopathic stuff for my arthritis- it was a heaven-sent cure I think! And what do you mean there isn't a world in the shape of a disc ??? ;) Belief in yourself is so important - and it's amazing what random kindnesses and comments can start it off-
    look forward to reading and reviewing your book
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never knew that about Belladonna. :) I've been reading another blog that's focusing on health and beauty for the challenge and I'm learning some interesting new things. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. People wouldn't think of the Brownies as terrifying, but they don't know. I was forced to join the Scouts and it was the worst bullying of my whole life. I think because I wasn't practical and didn't like football. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't be a 'reincarnation' person as you know ;) But I am looking forward to reading your book.
    I joined the Brownies once... for a short time... ugh! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look forward to your book. I'm not sure about the whole reincarnation thing. Since my sister died, I dont know what I believe anymore. Is she 'up there' waiting for me or is she 'down here' still with me but in a different form..All I know is, I miss her like hell :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah... wait... pigs don't talk?? :)

    I'm with you on the reincarnation concept thought, for sure!

    As for brownies, they're really good if you mix bananas in with the batter... wait... oh, Brownies... yeah, I didn't much enjoy being one of those either :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stopped to see what your brownie experience was after reading your comment on FictitiousAmo. I also had a bad (but short) Brownie experience. Maybe more a boring brownie experience. I think reincarnation is a possibility. I'll have to keep reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete