Thursday 18 April 2013

P is for....


1) Paperback Proof copy. This came yesterday, and is SO exciting! It looks okay, except for having page numbers on the ‘front matter’. But I already worked my hardest to get rid of these, with no success. So the book will be up for purchase very soon.

2) Puffin Club. I was a founder-member of the Puffin Club which was set up in 1967 (at least the magazine started then, I could have sworn I was younger when the club began...!)by Kaye Webb who was the Editor of Puffin books(Penguin’s children’s label). I received the magazine, Puffin Post, I think it was quarterly, and a badge which I wore proudly -and so I should, I had read every Puffin book, my mother had a standing order with Hodges-Figgis (Dublin’s biggest and wonderful bookshop) to keep her the new releases. When they arrived she would bring them home, there were usually two at a time, and hand me one. Then we would sit at either end of the couch and read, swapping when we were finished, although I suspect she finished first and read something else until I was ready! Mum got her “M.Ed.” degree based on a thesis on children’s literature, and I am very grateful to her for exposing me to good writing. (When I first read an Enid Blyton, brought to me as a gift by a birthday party guest, I recognised it as inferior and never bothered with another!)
Back to the Puffin Club. My claim to fame was that I came second in one of the competitions. We had to finish a story, they had provided one page, and I think I wrote another one or two. I have no idea if I got a prize, but the warm feeling has stayed with me ever since.

3) Phytolacca. This is another sore throat remedy. When alternated with Hepar (see H) they will fix most sore-to-swallow throats.

6 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Madeline! Wow, your cover is fantastic! It looks like you've got a lot of exciting things happening. Congratulations!!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paperback proofs are so exciting! I love your cover design :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Y'all,

    Love to read about your writing. Stop by tomorrow and check out the letter Q.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! Congratulations!! Excellent posts.
    Connie
    A to Z-ing to the end
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete